Kids are going back to school! My son, Jon, a former chef, makes the most healthy yummy treats for my grand-daughter, Ava, to tuck into her leak proof Bentgo lunch box. Food just looks better and stays fresh and air tight in all the fun Bentgo compartments. (I may have to get one for myself!) We eat with our eyes as well as our tummies so Jon makes sure the lunches are colorful, the fruit is cut up in bite size pieces and the sandwich of the day is packed with a little attached love note.
Here are more ideas for healthy, yummy treats:
- Sandwich: cut the crust off of whole wheat bread to make a perfect square. Add butter, turkey, cheese and avocado (the GOOD fat) and wrap up with a little love note that says, “Have a great day!” or “You’re the best!” These ingredients work well for a wrap. too.
- Ants on a log: clean celery and cut into 2 inch pieces. Spread peanut butter in cavity and top with raisins (the ants). Wrap in plastic wrap.
- Fill the lunch box compartments with squares of cut up salami and cheese, crackers in cupcake liners, cucumber wedges, cherry tomatoes, and blueberries. Think COLOR!
- For sweets, try adding dried apricots (Ava loves them), golden raisins, or medjool dates (remove the seed first). These are a great alternatives to over-sweetened processed treats. The teachers will thank you because your child will not be bouncing off the walls from a sugar high.
- Include a water bottle or natural, low-sugar juice. Stay away from sugary sodas.
You can find all kinds of inspiring ideas on Pinterest. Make lunch fun for your kids. And while you’re at it, make a fun lunch for yourself!