American Apple Pie
- 1 1/2 sticks very cold unsalted butter
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup very cold Crisco shortening
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 12 green apples (about 4 lbs.), cut in small pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 beaten egg
- A pinch of sugar to sprinke
- Dice the butter into small pieces. In a food processorwith a steal blade, add the flour, salt and sugar and pulse a few times.
- Add the butter and Crisco and pulse about 12 times until the dough is crumbly and the size of peas.
- With the motor running, add the ice water a little at a time until the dough forms into a ball.
- On a floured board roll the dough into a ball and flatten slightly with your hands. Wrap the dough in saran wrap and refrigerate for 25 minutes.
- Use half the dough for the bottom crust.
- Roll out on a floured surface about 2 inches larger than the pie pan.
- Roll the pie crust into a
- pie tin. Trim the dough around edge leaving about 1/2 inch.
- Peel and core about 10-12 green apples (about 4 lbs.).
- Cut in small pieces and dump into a large bowl. Toss to coat the apples with flour, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Mound the apples into the prepared pie tin. Sprinkle with more cinnamon and dots of butter.
- Roll out the rest of the dough and place on top of the apples.
- Pinch the edges together with your fingers.
- Brush the top with a beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Pierce with a fork to let the steam escape as the pie bakes. Brush the top of the pie with a beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place the pie on a large baking sheet (to catch any drips) and bake at 400 degrees for about 1 hour or until the top is golden.
- While it’s baking, run to the store for vanilla ice cream. Then, while the pie is still warm,cut a very large piece, scoop up the extra apples that spill out because it’s still warm, top it with ice cream and enjoy. Every. Single. Bite.
If you can find it, cinnamon ice cream is exceptionally delicious with warm apple pie.
Keep the pie covered with tin foil at room temperature.
Warm any left over pieces of pie in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or in a toaster oven for 2-3 minutes.