Sweet & Salty Zucchini Bread
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups grated zucchini, unpeeled and pressed between paper towels to remove some of the moisture
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon Pipka’s Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup roughly chopped shelled roasted & salted pistachios
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, oil and brown sugar until blended.
- Add the vanilla and zucchini. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Gently fold in the pistachios and chocolate chips.
- Pour into buttered and floured pans, either a small loaf pans or 1 loaf pan and 1 Pipka Almond Cake Pan.
- Bake the loaf pan for 1 hour. The smaller Pipka Almond Cake Pan will only require about 40 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 -15 minutes and remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
More variations of a theme…
*Adding 1/2 cup apple sauce and 1/3 cup orange juice to the above recipe makes for a very moist and flavorful bread.
*You can substitute pistachios for roasted and chopped pecans or walnuts if you prefer.
*Instead of chocolate chips, add golden raisins or chopped pitted dates.
*Drizzle a buttery vanilla glaze over the cake:
1/1/2 cup powdered sugar, 2 Tablespoons cream, 1/2 teaspoon Pipka’s Vanilla extract and 2-3 Tablespoon unsalted melted butter. Beat together until you have a nice syrupy glaze. Drizzle the glaze over your cake that is resting on a wire rack which has a piece of waxed paper underneath to catch the drips. Let it set.